Change of Address Procedure 2015-02-21T12:35:11+00:00

If you have a temporary or permanent residential status you have to notify INM when you change your address – within 90 days. It’s free. You will need:

Copy & original of utilities bill for the new address

Copy & original of your residential card

Copy of photo page of passport and passport

Online application form printed out (see below)

A typed letter stating under oath your last date in the previous address and the date you moved into the new one, and give the full detail of both addresses. Here’s an example:


Instituto Nacional de Migración

Delegación Local

Los Cocoteros 55

Paradise Village

Nuevo Vallarta


ASUNTO: Cambio de domicilio Tarjeta Residente (/Temporal) # XXXXXXXX

Yo, (Your Name), mayor de edad, estado civil soltero de nacionalidad (Estadounidense(/Canadiense/other nationality) titular de la Tarjeta migratoria al rubro, me dirijo a esta Delegación Federal para:


Bajo protesta de decir la verdad, manifiesto que el (date you moved), cambié mi domicilio de (Your old Address) a (Your new Address);

Por lo anterior a usted expuesto:


Tenerme notificando mi cambio de domicilio.

Agradezco y protesto lo necesario:



Your Name

Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit (date)

The online application

Near the bottom of the first page, click on: Solicitud de Estancia

Where it says Que Desea Hacer? Choose: Notificar cambios (residentes temporales y permanentes)

Where it says Espesifique Choose : Notificación de cambio de domicilio

The very first item below that says Conozco mi NUE and has a box after it. Click on the box.

A pop up window will open. Enter the NUE which is on the front of your resident card, your date of birth and then enter the verification code. If you can’t read it, don’t guess, click on the blue Intente con Otro until you get one you CAN read.

This will automatically complete most of the application for you.

Complete what’s left, and in the comment section at the bottom list the copies you are producing with this form. Click on Guardar

Print out the application to bring with you.

You will need to return in about one week’s time to collect a piece of paper confirming the change of address – you can check this online.

Thank you for this information: Attorney Sergio Santana; Sean Mulvaney; Ed & Patty Stiles. Information correct as of 15 August 2014.  If you encounter anything different, please share it with us by clicking on: Contact Us

Disclaimer: This information is not meant as legal advice. It is for educational and informational purposes only. Government policies vary between States and offices, and Mexican Government officials have broad discretion in how they individually enforce policies, so, your personal experiences may vary. See a professional for advice on important issues.