Reporting A Crime 2015-04-22T16:05:31+00:00

We are sorry if you are reading this section as something bad has happened to you – a robbery of some kind, a personal attack, damage to your possessions – whatever.

To call the police as an emergency just dial 066.  It is a “magic number” and does not need any prefix. Keep a written criblist of what to say in Spanish by your phone in order to give them directions to your house.   You can ask to speak to someone in English, but you may be put on hold for some time. Call them if the incident is in process or if you have information to direct them to the culprit immediately after. If the criminals have left the scene, the police require orders to investigate from Ministerio Publico. If it is not an emergency you can call 298 0505; 298 1015; 298 1020. You can go to them: Agencia de Investigacion on Morelos (opposite Casa Tranquila/Bookstore).

In order to make an official report you need to go to the Ministerio Publico, pale pink building on the corner of Morelos and the lateral – go upstairs. Office hours are 9 – 1pm and 6 pm – 9 pm. You will need to speak Spanish or have someone with you who can. If it is complicated you might want to contact an official interpreter, for example Cara Anderson Cell: 322 168 6942 email: Once you have an appointment arranged, the actual process does not take very long.

You will need to take with you photo proof of ID, (passport is best); any photos of the perpetrators; photos of damage to your car/house; or, if you have them, of the stolen articles. Once you have made your report, which will have an official number on it, you will sign and thumbprint every page and will be given one copy to keep. Make a note of this number for future reference.

You will need to make a report for your insurance claim. Also if you do not make this report, then basically the crime did not happen, which gives false statistics and means we do not get extra police for Bucerias.